All posts filed under: DIY

Neutral Patio Decor

Initially, I bought pillows to coordinate with the fabric of the outdoor sofa. A little back story on the outdoor sofa: we moved from North Dakota where Colter (our dog) lived inside. He liked to lay on the sofa and in an attempt to successfully transition him to an outside dog, I decided that he needed an outdoor sofa. My mom took me to a discount fabric store where we found some outdoor fabric and foam and someone to make a bench seat and pillow covers. Matt made the sofa based on the bench cushion dimensions. Last year, I started ignoring the brightly colored sofa cushions and bought orange decor for fall and red and green decor for Christmas. The back door was an eye soar and originally planned to replace it but I eventually chose the cheaper option: paint. The front door is black so I decided to paint the back door black too. I sanded and scraped and painted the frame and the door. Matt installed new hinges and weather stripping. In addition …

Patio Door Makeover

The old sea foam green back door has been a thorn in my side. My original plan was to install a new dutch door and frame but instead of spending $3000, I spent $50 on paint and liquid masking. It made a huge difference! This back door has been driving me insane since we first moved into the house. It is the original back door, so I understand it is old. It is also the door right off the driveway so I am sure even before us, it was used frequently (we rarely use the front door). The usage and age was definitely showing and it was time to replace it or repaint it. BEFORE As I sanded and scraped the door, I found traces of three different colors. It’s an old door but like most things, paint makes things look new. I purchased a new door handle and deadbolt but this old door has issues and the new handle did not work well so I just cleaned the old one and re-installed it. There …

Spring Floral

It feels like spring around here. We are still working on the half bathroom and the master bathroom and laundry room will have a few minor updates. The goal is to be done with those projects by April. The next big project is the front yard landscaping. I am planning to paint the front door and replace the door handle (finally). I have a bin in my storage room labeled “FLORAL” and I decided to use the garland and stems that were inside bin. I purchased a grapevine wreath for about $7 from Joann Fabrics and starting searching Pinterest for ideas. I came across this hydrangea wreath and thought I could use the eucalyptus garland I found inside the floral bin in place of their clematis bushels. I do prefer the look of the wreath with the clematis bushels but the eucalyptus will do. I hot-glued everything onto the wreath. I have enough eucalyptus, hydrangeas, and roses to finish the other side but I am warming up to the asymmetrical look. The next wreath was …