Latest Posts

Spring Floral


It feels like spring around here. We are still working on the half bathroom and the master bathroom and laundry room will have a few minor updates. The goal is to be done with those projects by April. The next big project is the front yard landscaping. I am planning to paint the front door and replace the door handle (finally).

I have a bin in my storage room labeled “FLORAL” and I decided to use the garland and stems that were inside bin. I purchased a grapevine wreath for about $7 from Joann Fabrics and starting searching Pinterest for ideas. I came across this hydrangea wreath and thought I could use the eucalyptus garland I found inside the floral bin in place of their clematis bushels. I do prefer the look of the wreath with the clematis bushels but the eucalyptus will do. I hot-glued everything onto the wreath. I have enough eucalyptus, hydrangeas, and roses to finish the other side but I am warming up to the asymmetrical look.

The next wreath was originally going to be a recreation of a wreath previously featured on the blog that my mom made (I basically just documented it). But since the entire point of this project was to use up the floral stems and garland I already had, my final product looks a little different.

I purchased this birch stick wreath from Joann Fabrics. I can’t decide how I feel about it. It’s hanging on the back patio door, which hopefully, my dad will help me replace at some point this year. The wreath has too much of the same green hydrangea, but again, I just used what was in the bin. I did have some white roses and white peonies but they didn’t look right. I think some white wisterias, lilacs, mums, geranium bushes, or any white clump of small flowers would break up all those green petals. Maybe eventually, I will wander over to Hobby Lobby and pick something up and add it to the wreath.

Another floral project that did not turn out as planned were the potted paperwhites for the dining room table. I know a lot of people plant and display paperwhites at Christmas but I thought they would be fine for my spring tablescape. I ordered two small paperwhites and four larger paperwhites from Amazon. After two weeks, with no delivery, the company cancelled part of my order and then finally shipped the two small paperwhites. I used the craft paper the paperwhites were wrapped in to nestle the bulb inside these blue pots and covered the craft paper with moss.

The paperwhites look pretty real. I had planned to have four in a larger blue and white bowl between the two small pots but since that did not work out, I broke out all the blue and white candlesticks and a few blue and white figurines. I am never satisfied with any tablescape I set up but this will do for now.

Bolster Pillow


I’ve been looking at this pillow since 2017. I finally decided to at least entertain the idea of purchasing it so I ordered a few fabric swatches (Loom Decor will send them for free).

Two years ago I found these two blue and white lumbar pillows at HomeGoods and I like them but I decided they might look better in the recliners beside the window. So whatever fabric I chose for the bolster needed to at least coordinate with the blue and white lumbar pillows.

Loom Decor had a few chinoiserie style fabrics to choose from but none of those would coordinate with my rug or blue and white decor. The blue color of the koi pattern I ended up choosing leans purple but I don’t think it looks bad because all the blues in the room vary in shades and undertones.

Loom Decor pillows are definitely pricey but as I have mentioned before, I can’t sew. I spent two years searching for a less expensive option but never found any extra long bolsters or lumbar pillows in store or online. The Loom Decor lumbar pillows can be made 12″ x 24″, 14″ x 36″ or 14″ x 48″ and the bolster pillows can be made 8″ x 24″, 9″ x 36″, or 9″ x 48″. This is a king size bed so I chose the 9″ x 48″ but I think two 8″ x 24″ bolsters would have looked good too.

It took about two weeks for the pillow to arrive. That’s because they are made to order. I really like it and think it was worth the wait. Maybe one of these days I will entertain the idea of buying new bedding but for now, all the mix and match white pieces will do.

Keto Sausage Balls


I am late to the game. I am pretty sure my aunt, my mom, and my sister-in-law have made these. I decided to switch up my daily breakfast, and try this recipe. The recipe is easy and the sausage balls are pretty good. The original recipe said to use a cooking scoop to make the balls but I rolled them in my hands. I also used ground Italian sausage.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pound sausage, cooked and drained (I used Italian)
  • 4 ounces of cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/3 cup milled flax seeds
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg, beaten

DIRECTIONS

  1. Allow cream cheese to soften.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  3. Cook the sausage and drain. Set aside to cool.
  4. In a mixing bowl, combine cooled sausage and cream cheese until
  5. Stir in the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, shredded cheddar and egg.
  6. Grease a baking sheet. Make balls about an 1.5″ in diameter.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  8. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE RECIPE