Since moving to Texas, my priorities have definitely shifted. Now, I am seeing the consequences (my clothes are tight). I am no longer teaching fitness classes, I sit in front of a computer most of the day, and I am surrounded by really good food. Some weight gain was inevitable but I am trying to get back on track. My aunt and uncle are doing Keto, my mom is always watching her carbohydrates, so I figured I better start making better choices before it gets out of hand. I am walking/running with my dog after work and a quick sun-salutation in the morning. My mom introduced me to a breakfast (Light n Fit Greek Vanilla Yogurt, grain-free granola, and frozen berries) and I quit eating Cheez-Its, chips, protein bars (with lots of carbs), crackers, Whataburger (which we were eating at least once a week), and Dominos (ordered every Sunday).
I found this Shrimp and Sausage Paleo Skillet Meal and thought I would give it a try. I did find that I did not need the chicken stock and did not use the chopped parsley or red bell pepper. I actually used fewer vegetables than suggested because I live with an anti-vegetable person (though he did eat the zucchini) and I forgot about the red pepper flakes.
We both really enjoyed the recipe. My husband ate it with a side of brown rice and I ate butternut squash risotto. I topped the sausage and shrimp skillet with the Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce and it was delicious.
- 1 lb of medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen pre-cooked)
- 6 oz of pre-cooked smoked sausage, chopped (I used pre-cut small batch sausage)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 white onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Olive oil or butter
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw shrimp according to package
- Chop zucchini, bell pepper, and onion
- Season thawed shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil or butter
- Add shrimp to skillet for about 3-4 minutes until opaque or if using pre-cooked shrimp, cook till warm and coated – remove and set aside
- If needed, add additional olive oil or butter to skillet and lower to medium heat and add zucchini to pan
- In another pan, add olive oil or butter to pan and cook onions and bell peppers in skillet
- Add sausage and zucchini to the skillet, cook another 2 minutes
- Put cooked shrimp back into skillet and add salt and pepper
- Remove from heat, serve with rice or risotto, enjoy!