This is an All Recipes contributor recipe which is called a cobbler, but doesn’t fit the typical “cobbler” consistency. This is more like cake on top of fruit. It is delicious, especially warm with vanilla ice cream. I made a few changes. I am curious to see if using vanilla soy milk would make it too sweet. I am also wondering if using raw can sugar instead of white sugar would change the flavor.
Ingredients for Filling
- 1 12-ounce bag of frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread or butter, melted
Ingredients for Crust
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread or butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk or milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking dish. Place the blueberries into the baking dish, and mix with vanilla and lemon juice. Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of flour, then stir in the tablespoon of melted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 3/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and 6 tablespoons sugar. Rub in the 5 tablespoons butter using your fingers until it is in small pieces. Make a well in the center, and quickly stir in the milk. Mix just until moistened. You should have a very thick batter, or very wet dough. Cover, and let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spoon the batter over the blueberries, leaving only a few small holes for the berries to peek through. Mix together the cinnamon and 2 teaspoons sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes (my oven took 50 minutes). When top is golden brown, insert a toothpick into the topping. It should come out clean (other than blueberry filling).
- Let cool until just warm before serving with vanilla ice cream.