One of our Minnesota friends told us about using root beer to make wings in the slow cooker. I used A&W Diet Root Beer and a Carolina barbecue sauce. I will say that I do not like the entire wing, I prefer drumettes. I did not do this, but you can make double the sauce and actually add it in the slow cooker along with the root beer. I modified this Carolina Sauce Recipe.
Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
BARBECUE SAUCE Directions
- Whisk together all ingredients
- Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil, stirring often for five minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- 2 lbs. Chicken (Wings or Drumettes or Wingettes/Flats)
- 1 cup Root Beer
- Barbecue Sauce ( I used a )
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Add root beer and cook on Low for 3 hours.
- Set oven to broil. Line a glass dish with aluminum foil.
- Place chicken in dish and brush with sauce.
- Allow to broil for four minutes or until browned.
- Flip pieces over, brush with sauce, and allow to broil for an additional four minutes.
Looks tasty! 😆