I have never made French toast before tonight. I had some bread that I decided would be best for toasting and then I found a jar of powdered sugar and one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was prepping the griddle. By the way we got a griddle like this as a wedding present and I use it all the time. I highly recommend purchasing one. So, back to the French toast, I looked for a recipe online and found this one from Robert Irvine. It was delicious and below is my rendition.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat free skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons butter or Pam Cooking Spray
- 8 teaspoons powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar.
- Turn stove to medium heat, place griddle on top. Spray griddle with Pam or place 2 tablespoons of butter on griddle to melt. If you are using a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat (I cooked four slices at a time, 2 tablespoons butter/4 slices).
- Whisk together cinnamon mixture, eggs, milk, and vanilla and pour into a glass pie plate or shallow pan.
- Dip bread in egg mixture on both sides and place on griddle.
- Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
- Top each slice with a teaspoon of powdered sugar and maple syrup.