Matt loves CiCi’s macaroni and cheese pizza and so I decided to recreate it. I decided to use the macaroni and cheese recipe that my other mother, Pam, sent me and just tweak it a little since I was using it as a pizza topping. Last time I made the macaroni and cheese I used three different cheeses and it was amazing. This time I only had mozzarella cheese in my refrigerator so I decided to make mozzarella macaroni and cheese. Something I never noticed before is that mozzarella is really bland so I had to add a lot of salt and pepper to the pizza. The macaroni and cheese did stick well to the pizza crust and it was actually pretty tasty but I have a few suggestions to making the recipe better.
If you are going to use mozzarella cheese instead of American cheese or a combination of cheeses (which even then you may need some kind of sauce) I suggest also making an alfredo sauce to spread onto the pizza crust before placing the macaroni and cheese on top. Without the alfredo sauce this pizza packs the calories (entire pizza: 2440, 305/slice) but it could be a weekend splurge. When the mac and cheese has about 10 minutes to go, make the alfredo sauce, raise the temperature of the oven a couple of minutes before you take out the mac and cheese according to the pizza crust you’re using. My oven didn’t have time to increase temperature in the time it took me to take out the mac and cheese, assemble the pizza, and place it into the oven so it actually cooked at about 375 instead of 400 (what was suggested for the pizza crust).
For Mozzarella Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces of large macaroni
- 2 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk (or more)
- ¼ stick margarine
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook macaroni, add salt, drain.
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees
- Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl
- Add 1 ½ cups cheese, margarine, salt and pepper.
- If mixture is not very soupy, add more milk.
- Pour into a 13×9 pan.
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and raise oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 5-10 more minutes (you want it too be a little brown but not too brown because it will be going right back in on top of the pizza crust).
For Alfredo Sauce (from Better Homes & Gardens)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Boil gently, uncovered or 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
Assembling the Pizza
- Preheat oven according to pizza crust right before you take out the macaroni and cheese.
- Place the pizza crust on a pizza pan and spread a thin layer of alfredo sauce on crust.
- Spread Macaroni and Cheese on top.
- Bake according to Pizza Crust instructions.